I've tried to convince Brandon for weeks now to cut my hair. But he's been too worried he'll mess it up. So my choices were go to a salon and spend money, or cut it myself. Obviously I know the best option was to just spend the money. But once I got the idea in my head, I couldn't stop thinking about it. Have you ever done something just because you wanted to say that you've done it? I cut both Brandon and Jack's hair. So I thought, "I've got this. I know how to cut hair. I can cut my own!" And with a few days of mentally preparing, I cut it last night. And I took photos to prove it! (Don't laugh too hard at these photos!)
I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty impressed with myself. I think it turned out really well. I was really worried, so I only cut an inch and a half off just to trim up the edges. That way if I totally messed up, I could go to a salon and get it fixed without getting too much cut off. I included the steps of how I cut my hair in case there is anyone out there that would also like to cut their own hair!
Here are the steps to cut your own hair.
Note: These instructions are for cutting long hair, with a slight "U" shape in the back, without any layers.
1. Get hair damp.
2. Part your hair in the part you wear on a daily basis. Then put your hair in a ponytail.
3. Slide hair tie to the bottom of the ponytail.
4. Hold the hair in between your pointer finger and your middle finger. Using hair cutting scissors (we just have a Conair kit that includes clippers, guards, and scissors), cut straight across the edge of the hair.
5. Remove the hair tie and bring the hair to the front, separating it into two sections.. one on each side.
6. Again place the hair in between your fingers and cut across the bottom.
7. Measure with a ruler or visually measure the length of both sides to make sure they are even.
And voila! You cut your hair!
I felt like I couldn't see a difference at first, but I'm loving my clean, freshly cut ends today. What do you think? Do you see a difference? Would you ever attempt cutting your own hair? Leave a comment and let me know!